On this Day 30 November 2007
By Command of HM King George VI in 1952 the Royal Navy introduced straight rank lacing as used in the full-time RN, with the addition of a small 'R' in the centre of the executive curl on cuff and epaulette insignia to indicate Reserve Service.
From 30 November 2007, mainly due to increasing involvement of the RNR in RN operations and deployments, the wearing of the distinctive 'R' was discontinued for all other than honorary officers. Similarly, RNR ratings no longer wear RNR shoulder flashes.
The RNR Air Branch was commissioned at RNAS Yeovilton on 16 July 1980. It now comprises approx 250 ex-regular service Officers and Ratings, covering all aviation trades, tasked to support the Fleet Air Arm.