On this day 23 May 1978
On this day 23 May 1978 First flight of RNHF restored Sea Hawk FGA.6, the only airworthy Sea Hawk in the World.
The Royal Navy Historic Flight's Sea Hawk WV908 was built at Baginton, Coventry, in late 1954 as an FGA.4 variant and assembled at the company's Bitteswell airfield before being delivered to the Royal Navy in February 1955. She served initially with 807 Squadron and then 898 Squadron embarked in HMS Ark Royal and HMS Bulwark and ashore at the Royal Naval Air Station Brawdy.
After conversion to FGA.6 standard at the Royal Naval Aircraft Yard Fleetlands in 1957-58 she flew with 806 Squadron until 1960 when she was relegated to second-line duties with 738 Squadron at the Royal Naval Air Station Lossiemouth. In June 1962 the aircraft was sent for storage at the Royal Naval Aircraft Yard Belfast before being loaned to the RAF apprentices school at RAF Halton in March 1971 for use as a systems trainer. She was then acquired by RNAS Culdrose (HMS Seahawk) and restored to flying display condition in 1977-78. Her first flight took place 23 May 1978. She transferred to RNAS Yeovilton to join the RNHF in September 1982.
After a period of storage she re-flew briefly in 1989 before being taken to British Aerospace's Dunsfold works for a complete refurbishment which was completed in 1996. She is now resplendent in the markings she wore when servicing with 806 Squadron at the end of her front-line career aboard HMS Albion.