On this day 17 April 1947
RNAS Culdrose commissioned as HMS SEAHAWK 17 April 1947. The land for the sirfield was purchased in February 1944 and construction began in June 1944. The name used whilst the airfield was under construction was HMS CHOUGH.
It is now one of Europe’s largest helicopter bases delivering highly capable Helicopter Squadrons specialising in Anti-Submarine Warfare, Anti-Surface Warfare and Airborne Surveillance and Control. The frontline Squadrons are deployed to ships all over the world to support the Royal Navy in its global operations. Back at the Air Station, trainee Aircrew, Engineers, Air Traffic Controllers, Fire-fighters and Flight Deck crews undergo intensive training prior to joining Naval Air Squadrons for duties at sea. Additionally, the ‘Search and Rescue’ Squadron is on constant standby 365-days a year to react to emergencies throughout the Southwest region.