Search Site
Capt Howard DSC and crew from 824 NAS
830 NAS in formation, Suez. 371 flown by Capt Howard
Busy flight deck of HMS Eagle 1956, Suez
HMS Eagle’s flight deck with Seahawks and Wyverns, Suez
Capt Howard, Sue Pooley his daughter and Capt Garratt CO RNAS Culdrose
Sue Pooley and Capt Howard DSC looking through press cuttings from his time at Culdrose
Capt Howard DSC and Commander Nick Gibbons CO 824 NAS look over a Merlin 2
FAA crews Malmi 3 Aug 1941

FAA veteran returns to a changed Culdrose

Published: 22 May 2013

Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose pushed the boat out when an ancient Fleet Air Arm veteran of both the Second World War and the Suez Campaign paid a visit to the West Cornwall Base. 

Former World War 2 prisoner of war and Royal Naval pilot Captain Charles Vyvyan Howard, Distinguished Service Cross (DSC), a spritely 93 year old arrived at the Navy’s Cornish Airbase to see how things had changed since he was first here some 64 years ago, in 1949. His daughter, Sue, had arranged this visit unknown to him when they went on holiday; she wished to see the Airbase chapel, where she had been christened in 1951. 

Back then the skies would have been full of Seafires, Sea Furies and pioneering Naval Jet aircraft in the shape of Sea Vampires, Sea Venoms and Meteors. Nowadays the Helicopter is King and Vyvyan, as he is best known was shown around 824 Naval Air Squadron; with the newest addition to the Fleet, Merlin HM2 the Navy’s Ultimate Submarine Hunter. A far cry from the 1950’s when helicopters were still in their infancy. Vyvyan had joined the Fleet Air Arm in 1939 on the out break of the Second World War. 

After many anti submarine and convoy patrols with the Fleet, Vyvyan gained notoriety in WW2 when he saw action as part of 828 NAS, flying his Albacore torpedo bomber in the 1941 raid on German held Kirkenes in Norway, against overwhelming odds and hopelessly out-numbered. In all they lost 13 aircraft from the Aircraft carriers HMS Furious and Victorious. Vyvyan describes his misfortune during that raid. “We launched our torpedo at a German ship in the harbour. As we turned to make our escape I heard a roar of cannon fire from below us, we were hit and the aircraft broke up around us. The next thing I knew we were in the Fjord and swimming for the shore and into captivity”. 

He was to spend the next four years as a prisoner of war with the Germans at Stalag Luft III, famous for the “Great Escape”. He also took part in the forced march of over 200 miles when in 1945 with the threat of the advancing Russians from the east, all Allied prisoners were moved west to Stalag VIIA in Bavaria until liberated by the Americans.

After the War Vyvyan stayed with the FAA and was given a permanent commission before joining RNAS Culdrose and taking up flying again on the latest propeller aircraft, Seafires and Sea Furies in addition Sea Vampires and Meteors in the new jet age. 

Vyvyan stayed in Cornwall for the next six years raising a family and working on various training squadrons before taking command of 830 Naval Air Squadron, flying the Westlands Wyvern, the largest prop-driven single-seat airplane to go aboard a Royal Navy carrier. 830 NAS was commissioned at RNAS Ford, in Sussex and embarked on HMS Eagle in April 1956. The squadron’s 16 aircraft became the only Wyverns to see combat when they participated in Operation Musketeer; the Anglo-French intervention in the Suez War of 1956, 830NAS mounted the first attack on 01 Nov 1956, attacking Egyptian airfields near the canal. A total of 79 sorties were flown by 06 Nov when the operation was called off. Two Wyverns were lost, at least one to ground fire. 

Vyvyan was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, (DSC) given in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the Operations in the Near East from October to December 1956. He has memories of how congested the airspace was over Suez. “It was a very small area to operate and after a few days we were competing for the same targets with the other aircraft from the British and French Carriers, it was like Piccadilly Circus. We often went up against the Egyptian Airforce with their Mig jets, it was an exciting time.”

In 1960 he returned to Culdrose and took a Helicopter acquaintance course before taking up a new job as the Fleet Aviation Officer on the Far East Staff in Singapore. His last appointment before retiring from the Royal Navy as a Captain after over 36 year’s service was as British Naval Attaché in Bonn, Germany. 

Vyvyan said of his visit to Culdrose, “It is remarkable to return to the Air Station and see all these new helicopters and equipment. Visiting 824 Squadron and talking to the aircrew about their jobs was marvellous. You have made an old chap very happy!”

The final image, FAA crews Malmi 3 Aug 1941, shows Vyvyan Howard, then Sub Lieutenant, moments after capture following the Kirkenes raid 1941. He is in the centre, to the right of the Germanofficer, holding his Mae-west life jacket.


FAAOA no longer offer support for your browser.

For a faster, safer browsing experience
and to make use of the FAAOA site features

Upgrade Now for FREE